Creamy Potato And Onion Gratin
This month's feature recipe: Creamy Potato And Onion Gratin
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 c. milk
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground pepper
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar or Gruyère cheese
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1. In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until light brown – about 30 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, bring milk, garlic and thyme to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add flour, salt and pepper to milk mixture and cook until mixture has thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk.
4. Add cheese to milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
5. Layer one-quarter of the potatoes in a greased 8" casserole dish. Top with one-third of the sautéed onions and one-quarter of the milk mixture. Repeat until onions and cheese sauce are done.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 400-degree oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours.